PDM stands for Product Data Management, which is also a part of PLM (product lifecycle management). PDM works as a database for different data, like product data, engineering data, etc. The work of PDM is not only to store the data but also to allow the stakeholders to access, use and update the data. But this solely depends on the administrator, who determines who is gaining access at what time. It is mostly used by the engineering teams in the design industry.
Aim of PDM
Upon identifying the problems of the traditional procedures such as duplications and errors, the processes being ineffective and inefficient, the lack of tracking of workflow, etc, Product data management for the following things-
- Controlling the product data:
This helps in keeping information up-to-date, keeping the data secure, moving information, and standardizing formats.
- Integrating the data across different functions:
This helps with avoiding duplication, helps to access the data that is entered by different functions easily, and transparency
- Ensuring one surviving version of data:
Updating and changing the data that helps centrally to come up with one supreme and up-to-date data.
- To support process management:
Enhancing communication and documenting the history of the products.
Use of PDM in Industries
The overall idea of a PDM system is to have a hub or server that contains all relevant information that is kept in a particular way or order. While some information might be standard data set which may refer to standards of color and quality, as well as size specification and might as well contain different instructions like taking measurement and procedures of packaging and finishing.
The hub will have the capability to store graphic content which will help develop cost as well as to save communications of a product and also note down the progress which will help in the product development as well as in manufacture. One big side of PDM is that if any data needs alteration, it can be just copied and pasted, and edited afterward. Architecture is the perfect platform where PDM can be used in a proper way for the optimization of future results.
Just like every other software existing in the world PDM software is also gradually updated to give the users a better version with boosted performance. Some updates might include automatic translation of language for the users all around the globe, Some might include integrated emails, storing videos, incorporating procedures for steps like inspection, processing, sewing, packaging, etc
The people that have access might have the option to customize their way of viewing the data reporting. additional data, as well as any other data or results, can be integrated into the database if it is reported to the management first.
Many marketers might need to put technical data in a PDM server, but they are mostly reliant on product information for creating a product’s image, video, And other materials related to marketing. to say the least, PDM software contains a quarter or a fraction of the information required for customer-facing operations.
PDM – Information Storage
- Storage and classification of component and assembly drawings
- Organization of information pertaining to product development
- Definition of relationships among parts and sub-assemblies
- Enhance access to engineering information
PDM – Process Management
- Management of work: This is the process that lets the authority know what happens when someone is working with the data in the software
- Management of Workflow: Managing the flow of information between people that will be receiving the information from the server or folder.
- Work History Management: Keeping track of every event as well as every movement that takes place during the development period
PDM – Benefits
- Reduced Time-to-Market: If someone maintains profit data it can be easily offered as a reference to a particular or a new product so that there is a shorter time for the operation such as machining, manufacturing So that we can reduce the time to market the product.
- Improved Design Productivity: This refers to the productivity that will be increased due to more accurate results through PDM implementation
- Improved Design and Manufacturing Accuracy: This part refers to the optimization that will take place and improve the design and manufacturing accuracy.
- Data Integrity Safeguarded: As self-explanatory as it can get, the integrity of the data is safeguarded.
- Better Control of Projects: When companies are working with the development of the project again and again in a revised manner one will have better control of the projects.
- Better Management of Engineering: As everything above is being more productive and more accurate time and over again, it is only normal to say that there will be better management of Engineering as well.
Future Trend of PDM
Product data management software is Essentially CAD software with an aim, that is, is reducing the development of product and increasing quality, and improve the communication between the retailers and manufacturers. Its capacity is to arrange data in the item advancement stage, to guarantee specialized determinations are followed to the last detail into the creation period of the articles of clothing.
All more explicitly, PDM/PLM frameworks contain data about examples, piece of clothing development, expenses, quality, and estimation determinations. New PDM/PLM frameworks are currently Web-empowered, permitting the significant CAD sellers’ items to be Internet-, Intranet-and Extranet-empowered. The capacity to move/share dependable data and simplicity of correspondence is absolutely critical.
Three-dimensional visual marketing is the new medium-advanced by significant CAD sellers offering the capacity to mimic clothing assortments rapidly in any virtual 3D retail climate. The capacity to establish and control the retail climate – characterizing store design, chosen articles of clothing, style, shading, combination, and retail space – offers a definitive collection arranging 3D visual promoting framework for attire brands and retailers. This is made conceivable by an incredible information base enveloping a list of 3D apparatuses, dressed life-sized models, and custom items importable from 2D CAD media.
PDM – The Future
- In the case of purchasing, production, and aftermarket support, the integration is improved.
- Improvement in the integration with the management via PDM
- The integration of the supplier is improved
- The accounting for costing integration to be improved to a great margin
It’s safe to say that PDM is definitely an essential and integral part of the design and machinery industry as of now, and soon will be taking over a lot of Other industries as it is on the rise. Programmers are always working for the development and updated versions of PDM so that the users can find it much easier and much more effective to use it in their intended ways.
Picture Credit: https://pixabay.com/